The puzzles in this collection are culled from hundreds of thousands of historic and modern games.
There are 32,000 puzzles and 6,000 tactical demonstrations over 1,600 pages. These are critical positions
with only one winning move, i.e. a move that results in a clear two pawn advantage or better. The color
disk on the diagram indicates who moves first. Solutions are found under the puzzles when you drag your
curser between the two brackets. All solutions have been verified by a grandmaster-rated chess engine.
Strategy requires thought, tactics require observation (Max Euwe)
Many students will experience a rise of 400 rating points once they make a habit
of solving chess puzzles. Here you can browse positions that arose in recent
games as well as the old classics. Observing tactics will make you a stronger
player. Things to do: 1) Review 100 elementary 'mate in 2' puzzles.
2) Practice seeing 3 moves ahead with 'mate in 3' puzzles from tournament games.
3) Here are some puzzles rated ELO 2000-2099..
4) Try your hand at winning sacrifices from the Tactics Workshop.
5) Put yourself in the shoes of Paul Morphy the first unofficial World Champion.
6) Explore the index of GMs, tournaments, openings or what's new on this page.
Bill Harvey has published dozens of pamphlets and books on chess puzzles. He has an expert/master rating at letsplaychess.com where he is a top puzzle contributor. He has a very rare 'Morphy Number' of 4 (Bisguier-Tartakower-Mortimer-Morphy).
@WTHarvey Your stuff is great. Good job!
A nice selection of tactics from my games: http://bit.ly/ORivS
Thanks to @WTHarvey